MD Tech Connect Extended is a special webinar series offered free in addition to the annual MD Tech Connect events. The webinars are for anyone (library staff local to Maryland) who is interested, even if you don’t make it to the conference this year. This will be a fun and easy (and free) way to keep up with emerging technologies.
Registration Now Open
Thursday, March 7, 2024; 2 – 3 p.m.
Presenter: Brian Pichman
Register for Robotics
Explore how robotics is reshaping various industries and how they may create new possibilities within library environments. This session explores a wide gambit of information — from the basic STEAM toys that can teach coding to industry-level equipment and their applications in libraries, including sorting systems, interactive learning companions, and assistive devices for patrons with disabilities. Gain insights into the benefits and limitations of robotics, and explore future trends in the field.
- Overview of robotics technologies and their relevance to libraries.
- Benefits and limitations of integrating robotics into library operations.
- Various Edutech Products that teach robotics.
- Future trends and possibilities for robotics in the library environment.
Monday, April 22, 2024; 1 – 2 p.m.
Presenter: Brian Pichman
Register for Cybersecurity
In today’s digital landscape, cybersecurity is paramount for libraries to safeguard their systems and patrons’ privacy. This session addresses critical aspects of cybersecurity, including threat analysis, data protection, and risk management specific to libraries. Participants will learn best practices for securing library networks, educating users on online safety, and implementing robust security measures. Explore the role of libraries in promoting digital literacy and cybersecurity awareness within their communities.
- Key aspects of cybersecurity: threat analysis, data protection, and risk management.
- Best practices and recommended tools for securing library networks and ensuring patron privacy.
- Strategies for educating library users on online safety and cybersecurity best practices.
- Implementing robust security measures to mitigate cyber threats.
- Libraries’ role in fostering digital literacy and promoting cybersecurity awareness.
About Brian Pichman
Brian Pichman recently presented at the Maryland Libraries Futures Conference. Brian is the Director of Strategic Innovation at the Evolve Project. Much of Evolve’s work includes building innovative works geared towards interaction and collaboration and helping libraries bridge the digital divide, break away from traditional library views and become trendsetters. Brian is dedicated to bringing libraries into the future using cost-effective measures and strategies. He often presents on innovative technology and loves collaborating with both libraries and companies. In his work with start-up companies around the world, he promotes libraries and encourages people to work closer with libraries when developing new ideas and concepts.
Zoom closed captions will be enabled. Please send interpreter requests to Nini Beegan, firstname.lastname@example.org six weeks before the program.